God would rather have your heart than your sacrifice. He thoughts so way back in the Old Testament, and He still thinks that today.
Israel got good at getting the right answer. The Pharisees had ALL the “right” answers.
But they missed the point of who God was and what He wanted. He did not want strict obedience. God wanted (and wants) His people to love Him and know Him.
We can do that today through His Word. Our weekly BIBS discussions, and your daily BIBS devotions, are not about getting the right answer. There’s more like… a HEART behind what you do.
“Heartless” BIBS looks like:
- I forgot to do it
- I’m going to fill out the form and SAY that I did 5 days, so it looks like I’m being honest and missed 2 days, but I really missed 3 or 4.
- I’m not going to think too hard about which day I missed. I’ll just fill this form out.
- OOPS! It’s Wednesday!! I’d better fill some things out in my book so it looks like I did my BIBS.
- Psh. Who cares? We’ll just talk about it on Wednesdays anyway. Big deal if I miss.
- I STARTED out strong, but now I’m “over” the excitement. Now it’s boring. Now I don’t even d them any more.
This list could go on. But what SHOULD it look like? Many of you have the right attitude about your BIBS, which looks like this:
- I love what I’m doing.
- I’m tired but I NEED this.
- I’ve committed, so I’m going to do this every day.
- OOPS! It’s Wednesday! Well…I missed this WHOLE week…but I’m not going to lie on my sheet.
- God I love you. SO much. I want you to know you. I want to walk wisely. Can you help me with that today.
- [next day] God, I love you. SO much. I want to know you. I want to walk wisely. Can you help me with that today.
- I’m not sure if anyone else will write this, but THIS is GOOD! I’m SO excited about what God showed me in His Word!
- My Bible-I’ll admit-is confusing sometimes, but it’s getting easier, and I’m enjoying it more.
That type of spirit is MUCH sweeter.
Don’t lie on your sheets. Don’t do your BIBS just to go on the missions trip for free. Don’t be a Pharisee. Love God. Love Others. Do right.